Western Meadows Scones
Makes approximately 16 scones
1 lb (453 Grams) Self raising flour
4 oz (113 Grams) salted butter
½ pt (.284 Ltr). full fat milk
2 oz (56 Grams) caster sugar
Preheat oven at 200 degrees C
- Rub butter in to flour until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar to the breadcrumb mix and incorporate evenly.
- Make a well and add the milk. Work in the milk to make a slightly wet dough.
- Turn out on to a lightly floured board and knead the mixture until dough becomes completely incorporated, (The dough is quite sticky at this stage, try not to over work the dough).
- Turn the dough to the smooth side up and with a rolling pin lightly roll to about an inch (25 mm) thick.
- Using a 2 inch (50 mm) diameter cutter cut out as many scones as you can. Repeat the process with the remaining dough mix.
- Place on a non-stick baking tray and bake for 10-12 mins.
- Remove scones and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Hope this works for you as I am sure it will. You can brush the scones with a beaten egg before they go into the oven. This will make them much browner in colour; it is all a matter of preference.
- Cornish style is jam first then cream!!!!